The news is out: I have a love/hate relationship with fast fashion stores. Y’all know by now that I love good quality clothing – pieces that will last many washes and won’t wear easily. Sometimes I break my own rules and spend a good amount of money in H&M, Forever 21, Zara and Shein.com, but hey, this girl ain’t made of money!
What’s fast fashion you ask? I always describe it as extremely inexpensive clothing which is made in minutes. The garments are most likely made in China and the quality of the fabric, buttons, zippers, etc are cheap. I opened up one of my textbooks from college to get a legit definition for y’all (anyone else keep their books from their favorite classes?) and this is what I found:
Fast Fashion – inexpensive clothing produced rapidly by mass-market retailers in response to the latest trends.
With that being said, below is what I love and hate about these specific retailers…
What I Love:
- If I’m in a rush to find something new for an event, I can go to Forever 21 or Zara and find an outfit that looks expensive and on trend for a fraction of the price at other stores.
- Their clothing is so trendy that a year from now it’ll be out of style, and that’s okay because it was less than $50. Probably even less than $25, depending on the garment. 😂
- There is SO much to choose from! The stores are massive and it’s easy to get lost in the amount of product…in a good way.
- I’m the kind of shopper who does not want the help from a worker. I know that sounds harsh, but let me just shop with no distractions. If I need you, I’ll ask for the help. Most employees at fast fashion retailers won’t ask to start you a fitting room or if you need help finding anything. It’s the BEST for people like me!
What I Hate:
- The same size always fits differently. You can’t shop online at fast fashion stores because you never truly know what size you’ll need.
- You take in a dozen pieces to try on and only 2 work for various reasons: the clothing fits funky, you noticed a hole in the fabric, the lighting in the fitting room was just absolute garbage, etc.
- The jewelry is final sale. So, if it breaks in a week or you decide to return it – tough luck sister! (But then again, Forever 21’s earrings are only 6 bucks.)
- These retailers are truly hit or miss. There are days you will leave with a bag full of new clothes, while other days you can’t seem to find ANYTHING that works.
- Sales don’t really happen at fast fashion stores. But who cares – spend the $14 on a blouse that’ll last a season!
My best advice when shopping at fast fashion stores:
- Try everything on! Even if you think it’ll fit.
- Check all the buttons, zippers, seams and fabric to make sure nothing is broken/ripped/has a hole. They make those pieces SO incredibly fast!
- Don’t expect anything to last more than a couple washings and don’t be mad when your pieces shrink even though you followed the directions on the inside tag.
- Donate the pieces in your closet that are worn out! They’ve had their run, now it’s time to go.
Have your own opinions on fast fashion retailers? I’d love to hear! Tell me about it in the comments section and let’s chat!
Outfit Details: Follow me in the LIKEtoKNOWit App – a quick and easy way to shop all the looks above. Search: Shannon N. Jones